The Inverness Tennis Club was started in April 1928 followed by California incorporation on September 20, 1928
Property was purchased for $800 in 1928 to build a tennis court at 81 Inverness Way in the first Valley of Inverness. The Post Office on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. is the east end of the First Valley. The tennis court is about 3 blocks west.
The court was completed in 1929 and the first tournament was held over the Labor Day Weekend time period from August 31 to September 9, 1929
Efforts began in 1956 to locate property for a second court. After a long effort, land was purchased on Vision Road on October 3, 1989 for $60,000. Vision Road is the main road for the Second Valley. Vision starts at Sir Francis Drake Blvd. The court is close to the corner with Sir Francis Drake.
The second court was completed in 1992 in time for the 1992 Labor Day Weekend Tournament,
In recent years, the two newsletters have been mailed to members - a Spring issue in April, a Summer issue in July. The July 2011 issue was sent to 129 Family and Individual members.
The By-laws adopted in 1928 provide for two primary membership classes. A Family Life membership with members of the immediate family classified as Associate members. The second primary class is titled as an Individual membership for adults with no dependents.
The initiation fee for a Family membership is $400. The initiation free for Individual members is $250
Annual court fees are charged at an annual rate of $100 for Active members who play tennis during the year on the Club courts. The rate will increase to $200 starting in 2023. This fee covers play by the member's immediate family and guests.
Social Non-Active Members pay an annual rate of $50. This fee will increase to $100 in 2023.
There are no guest fees.
For further information about membership in the Club, contact Terry Alshire at (415) 669-7269 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Suzy Stephens at (510) 525-2898 (email@example.com)